Field Hockey

5 players score as No. 5 Syracuse shuts out No. 8 Boston College, 6-0

Courtesy of John Quackenbos/BC Athletics

Syracuse has played 420 minutes this season and no opponent has scored yet.

Five Syracuse players scored and Borg van der Velde pitched another shutout as No. 5 Syracuse (6-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) buried No. 8 Boston College (4-1, 0-1 ACC), 6-0, on Friday evening in Newton, Massachusetts.

The onslaught wasn’t immediate. Boston College applied some pressure on the SU defense early but never broke through. By the end of the game, BC had five shots.

Just over six minutes into the game, Elaine Carey broke the tie and put the Orange up, 1-0. From then, SU hit the gas pedal. Laura Hurff doubled Syracuse’s lead 23:49 into the game, and one minute and 11 seconds later, Jennifer Bleakney found the back of the net again, cueing a BC timeout.

Caroline Cady added a goal of her own making it 4-0, and both teams headed to half.

qx1_4266Courtesy of John Quackenbos/BC Athletics

The second half provided much of the same for both teams. Carey’s second goal and a Lies Lagerweij blast on a penalty corner put the game out of reach.

Lagerweij’s goal might have been the most important for SU, as it was the Orange’s first penalty corner goal since it’s very first attempt of the season. After 35 misses in a row, Syracuse found a second penalty corner goal.

In net, van der Velde picked up her sixth-straight shutout, making some key saves, including a sprawling attempt on a penalty corner that appeared to go in.

Next up, SU is on the road at No. 21 Albany on Sunday at 1 p.m.