New year, new you, new tattoo?

Leigh Ann Rodgers | Staff Photographer

There are multiple styles of tattoos, but local tattoo artist Jesse Gabriel said old-school tattoos will never go out of style.

Tattoo culture is ever-evolving. It has changed from subculture to pop culture and is subject to trends.

But unlike a fashionable jacket, the permanency of ink cannot be replaced to match the times. Local tattoo artists Jesse Gabriel and Dan Tickner had some insights about which styles are here to stay.

Traditional or old-school tattoos can be distinguished by dark, bold outlines and bright colors, said Gabriel, who works at Halo Tattoos. Dating back to the 19th century, this style often symbolizes nautical motifs and other figures, like roses or hearts. This classic style, which sticks to a limited yellow, red, green and blue color scheme, has been around since tattoos first rose in prominence. These old-school tattoos will never go out of style, he said.

Next up came new-school tattoos, a progression of the traditional look, Gabriel said. They use the same prominent outlining, but the subject is usually a cartoonish figure or an animated aesthetic. Although the name implies a nuanced spin on the art form, he said the look has become dated and fallen out of popularity.

Neo-traditional is also very similar to traditional tattoos, said Tickner, of Vessel Tattoo Co. The style takes notes from the vibrancy and defining lines of old-school, but differs in the amount of detail added. The color palette is also wider in variation, encompassing blended colors, he said.

Tickner explained that neo-traditional designs are much livelier than their predecessors, which is why animals and portraits are ideal for this style. If you are looking for a modernized spin on the classic styles, neo-traditional will give a more realistic and updated look to your tattoo.

Blackwork tattoos are a catchall term for any design not involving color. This categorization, however vague, allows for versatility and experimentation, Gabriel said. This avenue of creativity has brought out trends in the tattoo world, like geometric shapes, minimalism and blackout. Leaving behind the crazy pigmentation will give your tattoo a natural, more subdued look, he said, because it’s a lot harder to grow tired of a black tattoo than it is a neon pink one.

But it’s not just the colors you might regret. Tickner told a story about one of his friends getting an inner lip tattoo of a now-ex girlfriend’s name. Having a tattoo like this might seem like a good idea as a whimsical college student until you break up, Tickner said. Then you realize it hasn’t started to fade like WikiAnswers said it would.